Balinese spiced duck is dish originated from the famous Bali island, its seaseoned by garlic,shallots,and ginger
Balinese spicy duck recipeEdit
- 8 duck portions, fat trimmed and reserved
- 50 g (2 oz) desiccated coconut
- 175 ml (6 fl oz) 3/4 cup coconut milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Deep-fried Onions and salad leaves or fresh herb sprigs, to garnish
for the spice paste 1 small onion or 4 - 6 shallots, sliced 2 garlic cloves, sliced 2.5 cm (1/2 in) fresh root ginger, peeled and sliced 1 cm (1/2 in) fresh lengkuas, peeled and sliced 2.5 cm (1 in) fresh turmeric or 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground turmeric 1 - 2 red chillies, seeded and sliced 4 macadamia nuts or 8 almonds 5 ml (1 tsp) coriander seeds, dry-fried
Place the duck fat trimmings in a heated frying pan, without oil, and allow the fat to render. Reserve the fat.
- Dry-fry the desiccated coconut in a preheated pan until crisp and brown in colour.
- To make the spice paste, blend the onion or shallots, garlic, ginger, lengkuas, fresh or ground turmeric, chillies, nuts and coriander seeds to a paste in a food processor or with a pestle and mortar.
- Spread the spice paste over the I duck portions and leave to marinate in a cool place for 3 - 4 hours. Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F) Gas 3. Shake off the spice paste and transfer the duck breasts to an oiled roasting tin. Cover with a double layer of foil and cook the duck in the oven for 2 hours.
- Turn the oven temperature up to 190°C (375F) Gas 5. Heat the reserved duck fat in a pan, add the spice paste and fry for 1 - 2 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk and simmer for 2 minutes. Discard the duck juices then cover the duck with the spice mixture and sprinkle with the toasted coconut. Cook in the oven for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Arrange the duck on a warm serving platter and sprinkle with the Deep-fried Onions. Season to taste and serve with the salad leaves or fresh herb sprigs of your choice.
Redictered from : cookit simply